22 May 2008

Volunteering

These past few days I've been volunteering, and reaping the benefits of other volunteers. 

I've had great success using the website, Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. I submitted a few requests and that very day received a response. A very helpful individual obtained cemetery photos for me from Rock Branch Baptist Church in Elbert County, Georgia.

I decided to return the favor, however indirectly, but signing up to volunteer myself. With a microfilm copy of the Atlanta (Journal) Constitution only minutes away, I thought I would volunteer to do lookups for obits.
I also saw an article in About.com's Genealogy Blog. The blogger talked about a volunteer project from FamilySearch.org and their FamilySearch Labs in which they sign up volunteers to index documents. So far I've indexed three pages of the 1870 Mass. Census and a page of Philadelphia 1885-1951 Marriage Indexes. It's actually very easy with the software you download from them. It takes less than 30 minutes to do each page (which is downloaded at random) and will be provided to genealogists for free.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails