16 January 2012

The FGS Piggy Bank

     I really want to go to the 2012 Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference in Birmingham, Alabama this year, but I've been concerned about the price and if I could afford the trip.  August 29th is a long way off and it can be difficult to plan so far in advance.  However, compared to other national conferences, this is probably the most affordable opportunity. I'm only a three hour drive from Birmingham - I've driven longer on day trips just to visit a library!

     I have decided that I'm going to try my hardest to attend. I can afford the registration ($195 if purchased by July 1st), but the hotel rate concerns me. If I attend Wednesday through Saturday, I'll need to pay for four nights. The conference hotel is $138 a night ($552 total), which I don't think I can afford. I'm sure it's an awesome hotel and it would be great to stay with the other attendees, but I'd have to find a cheaper option and save money. My mom and sister are thinking about tagging along and seeing the sights, so that would help with the cost. But their schedules are even more uncertain than mine and they might not be able to go.

     But like I said, I'm going to try my hardest to attend FGS this year. I'm starting by saving money. Today I made a piggy bank to save my money in. I plan to put in a certain amount each paycheck and drop in my random change.  When I made my piggy bank I wanted to make something that would be eye catching; I wanted a constant reminder of my goal. Here's what I came up with:


5 comments:

Susan Clark said...

You can't fail with such inspiration! Great job.

S. Lincecum said...

Too cute! I'm saving my pennies, too. Maybe, just maybe, I'll see you there! :-)

Unknown said...

I love it! Very cute. Let me know if your mom and sister aren't going ... I'd be willing to share a room to split the cost.

Unknown said...

Adorable!

Dawn Watson said...

Great piggy bank!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails