13 October 2012

My Longest Unbroken Line of Ancestral Gravestones

     This week, Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings challenges us to post about our longest unbroken line of ancestral gravestones.  How far back can we go and do we have photos.

     I have to think about this for a second. I know it's not my direct maternal line or it's offshoots: my Great-Grandmother Ruby Waters Huyler does not have a headstone.  Other lines have much older headstones, but have missing generations in between. Some have memorial markers, but not actual gravestones. So, what's the longest line?

     It's a tie! Both my Albea and Powell (via Craft) lines have graves with known locations and markers.  Both lines go back to my 5x Great-Grandparents. On the Albea line, that's Thomas Albea who was born in 1778 and died in 1844. On the Powell line, that William R Powell who was born in 1772 and died in 1847.

     I visited the graves of all but one of these ancestors. Wiley Powell died in Virginia during the Civil War and was buried at a veterans cemetery there. A FindAGrave volunteer kindly sent me a photo.

Roy Albea
(and Betty Huyler)
Roy & Betty Albea
Thomas Craft
(and Sarah Britt)
Thomas & Sarah Craft


C Vernon Albea 
(& Auline Witt Albea Wilson)
Charles Vernon Albea


BE Craft
(and Ruth Evans)
Bennie and Ruth Craft


William Albea
(& Nina Sprouse)
William Albea


Effie Powell
(and G "Bob"Craft)
George & Effie Craft

Thomas Albea
Thomas T Albea

John Powell (and Emma Taylor)


Tilman Albea
(and Julia Glaze)


Wiley Powell
(and Mariah Adkins)
Wiley Powell
Thomas Albea
(and Rachel Johnson)



William R Powell
(and Sarah Franklin)
  William Riddle Powell


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails